CTAN Investment Associate
Central Texas Angel Network (CTAN) is seeking an Associate to join our team in Austin. This is an entry- level to mid-level analyst and administrator position; the ideal candidate has a minimum of 1-3 years of relevant full-time work experience in venture capital, investment banking, or entrepreneurship. The role is an opportunity to contribute meaningfully to a leading angel investing organization and to the entrepreneur and business community.
With members investing more than $90 million in 150+ companies since 2006, Central Texas Angel Network (CTAN) is the most active single-chapter angel group in North America and is a significant source of early-stage capital to entrepreneurs from Texas and beyond. A member-based nonprofit organization headquartered in Austin, the angel group features more than 180 accredited investors from an extensive cross-section of sectors and backgrounds. CTAN members not only invest; they also mentor entrepreneurs and connect them to business resources, providing critical support to the success of early-stage business and the Texas economy. CTAN is also a member of the Angel Capital Association and the Alliance of Texas Angel Networks.
- Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree in business, engineering, or related field
- At least 1-3 years experience
- Mission-driven professional who is passionate about startups, emerging sectors, and innovation
- Exceptional analytical and research skills and not afraid of rejection; enjoys “the hunt” for information about a considerable cross-section of companies and sectors
- A strong desire to serve and foster growth in the entrepreneur and angel investment community
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with an ability to develop and maintain effective
business relationships with different sets of stakeholders
- Results oriented, with the ability to work effectively and autonomously, in a fast-paced,
unstructured environment with minimal direction
- Exceptional project management and organizing skills, with ability to manage multiple projects
- Strong technology skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Suite (Gmail, Docs, Drive, Calendar), Dropbox, and website management
- At least 1-3 years experience in finance (e.g., venture capital firm, investment bank, management consulting firm, accelerator/incubator, or related entrepreneur organization)
- Proven due diligence experience analyzing early-stage startup companies
- Experience planning and managing events
- Experience working or volunteering in a nonprofit organization
The Investment Associate is an integral part of the organization’s early-stage startup funding process. This position reports to the Executive Director. Primary job functions include: 1) due diligence, 2) funding cycle management, and 3) entrepreneur relations.
- Perform extensive analysis on the companies CTAN members express interest in, and prepare due diligence reports for potential investment opportunities.
- Due diligence involves reading and reviewing business plans and pitch decks, assessing market/company attractiveness, industry research and trend analysis, research of and calls with potential/current customers, seeking out and interviewing industry experts, reference checks, and other aspects of due diligence.
- Share the due diligence reports and findings with CTAN members interested in the companies.
- Coordinate and attend due diligence meetings with members and entrepreneurs, and be a key
resource to volunteer deal leads in the completion of their responsibilities.
Funding Cycle Management
- Review and evaluate companies as they apply to CTAN, and serve as their main point of contact throughout CTAN’s funding cycle.
- Coordinate all funding cycle event logistics, including catering, parking, venue relations, and event set-up/clean-up.
- Serve as the primary staff contact and facilitator for member investment volunteers (SIG Leads, deal leads, and deal teams) throughout the due diligence and funding process.
- In concert with member committees and the Executive Director, seek to continually improve CTAN’s funding process and help train new deal leads and SIG Leads.
- Prepare weekly reports on the status of current deals for the full membership.
- Survey entrepreneurs after every event, and provide survey feedback to the Executive Director
with suggestions on how to improve CTAN’s process.
- Work with the Executive Director to syndicate deals to other angel groups.
- Maintain CTAN’s online deal platform, ProSeeder; including: 1) working with the ProSeeder
team on maintenance requests and enhancements, and 2) educating members and entrepreneurs how to use the portal, as needed.
- Serve as CTAN’s first point of contact for all incoming entrepreneur and general inquiries.
- Help educate entrepreneurs on CTAN’s funding process and how to successfully seek angel
investment, including holding Staff Office Hours regularly to meet in person with entrepreneurs.
- Source potential investment opportunities by attending industry and startup events and seeking out top early-stage companies to apply to CTAN.
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and maintain relationships with startup incubators, accelerators, venture capital firms, and other angel investment groups, as assigned.
Other Duties As Assigned
The Investment Associate assists in various administrative tasks and processes, in accordance with direction from the Executive Director, to include website management, invoicing entrepreneurs and CTAN members, event set-up/clean-up, video recording events, supporting sponsors in entrepreneur engagement, and more. Requires frequent weekend and evening work and occasional travel.
Salary & Application Details
- Salaried full-time position with benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Requires frequent weekend and evening work and occasional travel
- Availability: Immediate
- To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
(NOTE: Application review will continue until the position is filled, so do apply regardless of posted date. No phone calls, please.)